Celestron Advanced VX 700 Maksutov Telescope
The 700 Maksutov-Cassegrain Advanced VX telescope (Advanced VX 700 Mak) is a specialized instrument designed for detailed, high contrast views that sets a new standard in mid-level telescopes. With its Maksutov-Cassegrain optical tube and the sturdy Advanced VX equatorial mount and tripod, this kit provides unparalleled views of the planets and up-close views of the lunar surface, including craters and maria.
Astronomers located in urban areas will especially appreciate the Mak’s ability to bring out more contrast in celestial objects. But since the entire kit disassembles into separate, lightweight, and manageable pieces, it’s also a great choice for transporting to dark sky sites.
Maksutov-Cassegrain Optical Design
The Mak is a catadioptric telescope, which means the optical design includes both a lens and a mirror. The light coming through a Mak passes through the corrector lens to the primary mirror and back to a spherical secondary mirror before it hits the eyepiece. Images are bright, sharp, and virtually free of chromatic aberration.
The Maksutov-Cassegrain’s optical design offers several unique benefits. Instead of a secondary mirror, the Mak features a “secondary spot” of reflective coating applied directly to the inside of the corrector plate. Because of this, the telescope does not require frequent collimation like a Schmidt-Cassegrain. Also, the secondary spot is significantly smaller than a traditional Schmidt-Cassegrain secondary mirror, giving the Mak its signature high-contrast views.
One important thing to note about Maksutov-Cassegrain telescopes is that the larger, heavier Maksutov corrector plate takes longer to cool down and adjust to ambient air temperature compared to a Schmidt-Cassegrain of the same aperture.
Advanced VX & Tripod
The Advanced VX mount is designed to provide superior performance for smaller telescopes while taking advantage of Celestron’s most advanced technologies: All-Star Polar Alignment, Celestron PWI telescope control software, SkyAlign, and permanently programmable periodic error correction (PPEC).
If you’re an experienced imager, you’ll love taking this portable mount to a dark sky site and enjoying all the conveniences of a larger observatory mount. Or, if you’re new to imaging, Advanced VX will help you get started with the hobby and keep up with your needs for years to come.
Computerized German equatorial mount
The Advanced VX is the smallest of Celestron’s German equatorial mounts. The computerized GoTo capability automatically tracks objects as they move across the night sky. The Advanced VX mount includes ports for a hand control, an autoguider, and 2 AUX ports for optional accessories. The NexStar+ hand control gives you instant access to all the functions your mount has to offer. With automatic slewing and menu descriptions, astronomers of all skill levels can master this mount in just a few observing sessions. The Advanced VX also has an impressive tripod for its class with 2”-diameter steel tripod legs, providing an extra-wide stance for improved stability.
The payload capacity for the Advanced VX is 30 lb. It offers a sturdy platform for the 7” Maksutov-Cassegrain optical tube, even when paired with optional accessories like StarSense AutoAlign, Focus Motor, a finderscope, and a camera. Celestron's payload capacity does not include the weight of the counterweights.
Dual saddle plate
As of early 2019, Advanced VX mounts now include a new dual saddle plate that accommodates both CG-5 and CGE-style dovetails. Switching between the two saddle plates is as simple as moving the hand knobs into a separate set of holes. Now you can use your Advanced VX mount not only with the 7” Mak, but virtually any optical tube within Advanced VX’s weight limit.
Celestron PWI Telescope Control Software
Your Ultimate Astronomy Software Suite
All current Celestron computerized telescopes include Celestron PWI (CPWI), the most advanced astronomy software suite provided with any consumer-grade telescope. Celestron’s experts co-developed CPWI with the engineers at PlaneWave Instruments. The result is an all-in-one solution offering you many of the same features used on PlaneWave’s observatory-class telescopes.
Graphical planetarium interface with PointXP advanced mount modelling allows you to add 100+ points to your alignment model for the most accurate pointing and tracking possible
Ideal for remote observatory setups: save and re-load your alignment and park your scope
Provides a complete ASCOM telescope interface to allow control of the telescope from third party software applications
For more information on CPWI and to see the user interface, click here.
Starry Night Software
Also included with your purchase is a free download of Celestron’s Starry Night Special Edition Software. This advanced software by Simulation Curriculum offers detailed information about celestial objects and helps you plan your next observing or imaging session. The Special Edition software also includes telescope control via your PC.
The Advanced VX 700 Mak comes complete with a 2” Visual Back, a 2” Star Diagonal with 1.25” adapter, a 28 mm wide-field 2” eyepiece, and a large 8x50 straight-through finderscope. The optical tube accommodates the larger 2” accessories, such as 2” Barlow lenses, the 2” eyepiece and filter kit, and larger wide-field eyepieces.
OPTICAL TUBE INFO:
- Optical Design Maksutov-Cassegrain
- Aperture 180mm (7.08")
- Focal Length 2700mm (106.3")
- Focal Ratio f/15
- Focal Length of Eyepiece 1 28mm (1.1") 2" eyepiece
- Magnification of Eyepiece 1 96x
- Finderscope 8x50 Straight Through
- Star Diagonal 2" Star Diagonal with 1.25" adapter
- Optical Tube Aluminum
- Highest Useful Magnification 420x
- Lowest Useful Magnification 67x
- Limiting Stellar Magnitude 13.9
- Resolution (Rayleigh) 0.64 arc seconds
- Resolution (Dawes) 0.52 arc seconds
- Light Gathering Power (Compared to human eye) 661x
- Central Obstruction Diameter 42mm (1.65") (5.45% of aperture area; 23.3% by diameter)
- Optical Coatings StarBright XLT
- Optical Tube Length 571.5mm (22.5")
- Optical Tube Diameter 222.25mm (8.75")
- Optical Tube Weight 19 lbs (8.6 kg)
- Dovetail CGE Dovetail Bar
- Mount Type Computerized Equatorial
- Instrument load capacity 30 lbs (13.6 kg)
- Height adjustment range (includes mount and tripod) 1118mm - 1626mm (44" – 64")
- Tripod Leg Diameter 50.8mm (2") Stainless Steel
- Latitude adjustment range 7° - 77°
- Mount Head Weight 17 lbs (7.71 kg)
- Accessory Tray Yes
- Tripod Weight 18 lbs (8.16 kg)
- Weight of Counterweights 1 x 12 lbs
- Slew Speeds 9 slew speeds - max speed 4°/second
- Tracking Rates Sidereal, Solar and Lunar
- Tracking Modes EQ North & EQ South
- GPS N/A
- Dovetail Compatibility Dual saddle plate (CG-5 and CGE saddle)
- Number of Auxiliary ports 3 Aux ports (1 hand control and 2 AUX ports for optional accessories)
- Autoguide port Yes
- USB Port Yes, input on Hand Control
- Power Requirements 12V DC 3.5A (tip positive)
- Motor Drive DC servo motors
- Alignment Procedures 2-Star Align, 1-Star Align, Solar System Align, Last Alignment, Quick Align
- Periodic Error Correction Yes
- Computerized Hand Control NexStar+ hand control with LCD display, 19 fiber-optic backlit LED buttons
- NexStar+ Database 40,000+ objects, 100 user defined programmable objects. Enhanced information on over 200 objects
- Software Celestron's Starry Night Special Edition Software, SkyPortal App
- Total Kit Weight 47 lbs (21.31 kg)